Common Code Violations

Top-Ten Code Violations

  • Yard Maintenance Standards
    Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of plant material in any right-of-way abutting the property. On a corner lot, no fences, walls, hedges or planting shall be erected or maintained to a height exceeding thirty (30) inches above the crown of the roadway within twenty-five (25) feet of the intersection of the front and side street property lines. Vegetation and trees must be trimmed so as not to impair vision or obstruct the travel of motorists.
  • Inoperative Motor Vehicles
    Inoperative motor vehicles cannot be stored except in a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit. An inoperative vehicle is a vehicle that does not display a current license tag and/or is not equipped with all parts that are required to legally and safely operate on public streets and/or cannot be driven under its own power (whether or not designed for use on the public streets).
  • Junk, Trash and Debris / Trash Cans Left on Street
    Junk, trash and debris cannot be left in the yard and must be properly disposed of. This includes junk, auto parts, appliances, furniture, building materials, tires, trash such as discarded paper, cardboard, plastics, etc; and debris such as tree trimmings and fallen limbs.  Solid waste and recycling containers may be placed at their pick-up site no earlier than 6 pm on the day before the scheduled day of collection. Containers must be removed by 9 pm on the day of collection. 
  • Parking
    Parking is permitted for passenger cars and motorcycles in residential lots only on a legal driveway or in a garage. A drive or parking area must be constructed with approved parking surfaces. There are limits to the amount of yard area that can be used for a driveway or parking. Check with the Planning and Zoning Division (304) 725-1010 for more information about legally recognized parking areas.
  • Commercial Equipment
    Generally, commercial equipment and commercial vehicles may not be parked or stored in a residential area unless they are within a fully enclosed structure that was constructed with a permit.
  • Maintenance of Commercial Structure
    All exterior building structures and walls shall be maintained in a secure and attractive manner. All defective structural and decorative elements of such building facade(s) shall be repaired or replaced in a workmanlike manner, to match as closely as possible the original materials and construction of the building
  • Condition of Structures
    The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. Any wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows and screens, and other exterior parts of a structure must be maintained in weather tight, rodent proof, sound condition and good repair. The property owner is responsible for maintaining secure windows, doors or other openings that cannot be readily opened from the outside. An owner may need to board up a vacant structure if a break-in occurs. Security boards should be made of exterior grade plywood painted in a neutral color that blends inconspicuously with the exterior colors of the building.
  • Outdoor Storage
    Outdoor storage is prohibited. Generally, any equipment, materials, or furnishings that would ordinarily not be used outdoors may not be stored outdoors. For example, you may not keep indoor furniture, household appliances, auto parts, or building materials outside.
  • Illegal Dwelling Units
    Dwelling units that have been added to the interior or the exterior of a structure without proper permits are illegal, regardless of how long the units have existed. The City will require closure of such illegal units
  • Prohibited Business
    Most businesses are not allowed to operate in residential areas as they disrupt residents and the community. This means that car and boat repairs, construction of cabinets and furniture, and other activities that are not normally carried on in a residential district are prohibited. Remember, engaging in a business requires an occupational license.